The Church of the Holy Virgin Mary in Tuczno

The Roman-Catholic Perish
of the Holy Virgin Mary

ul. Moniuszki 1
78-640 Tuczno

tel. (067) 259 30 22
tuczno@koszalin.opoka.org.pl

Coat of arms
Wedel-Tuczyński

History of Tuczno

There’s little information about the development of Tuczno or the area before the Piast dynasty. From Mieszko I and until the XIV century; when Tuczno was finally included in Poland; the town lived in constant fear due to battles at the border, changing of rulers, war etc.
During the X-XI century there was a small fishing village on the spit of the land, between the lakes, occupied by the inhabitants
of Pomerania. After the area was included in Poland the population increased and a castle was built.
Hasso von Wedel – a knight from the town of Wedel by Hamburg occupied Tuczno in year 1296. This was the beginning of the Wedel family who decided to add the name Tuczynscy to their last name in year 1528. They were the owners of the city Tuczno until year 1729.
Year 1365 the Wedel family were persuaded to accept the polish authority by the polish king Kazimierz Wielki.
Władysław Jagiełło bought the area in year 1391 and included it within the polish borders for sure. The border to Bradenburg was situated left of the town, on the river of Draw.
The Wedel family was given many privileges from the polish kings for their loyalty to Poland which increased the family’s importance and made them into one of the most honoured and influential families in the area. The members of the family were even put on significant positions within the city’s administration.

 

The history of the church



The parish church from XVI century made out of bricks in polish motives


1306 – The vicar of Tuczno is mentioned in documents
1349 – The parish is mentioned
1395 – Application is sent to bishop Dobrogosta of Poznan about sanctions for the Virgin Mary altar
1475 – The altar is mentioned
1498 – Altar with Virgin Mary and the Tree Kings is exchanged
1522 – New church is built on the foundation of the old church
1546-1604 – The church is owned by Lutherans
1581 – The church has a fire
1622 – Church is reopened
1636 – The tower collapses
1640 – Church has a fire
1641-1649 – New tower, armory, arches and new altars
1660 – Church is consecrated once more
1723 – New tower
1834 – Church is on fire in the ceiling and parts of the tower but the inside is saved
1842 – Reconstruction of the tower
1857 – Church is repainted inside
1920 – Tuczno is the seat for the prelate of Pila
1945 – The Red Army uses the church as storage for stolen goods
1968 – Safety measures were taken to prevent the tower from leaning
1971-1972 – Preservation of the church’s interior
2007 – Damp church walls are dried

 

The Main Altar – Coronation of Virgin Mary

 
The painting in Tuczno is based on the same theme as the painting from the Pelplin Cathedral which was painted in 1623-1626 by Herman Hana and is placed in the middle of the main altar.
Tuczno’s painting is a bit simpler than the original but it conserves the main part of the contents being supplied. The upper part of the painting is an almost exact replica of the pelplin groups, its been reduced in the middle and therefore it differs from the original a bit. The lower part is a copy showing the emperor and pope. Instead of having a whole group of people in the front and in the back they have placed king Zygmunt III and emperor Ferdynand II on the right side. By their side you can see Krzysztof Wendel-Tuczynski, who funded the painting, amongst two other persons.
Preservation of the painting was done between 1969-1972 at PKZ Sztuki Zdobniczej in Warsaw.

 

The Altar of the Holy Family

 



The Altar of the Holy Family is a replica of Hana’s work. It’s placed in the middle of the background altar and has very few differences to the original. Hana’s original can be seen on the northern altar at the pelplin cathedral.

The painting is an almost exact replica of the original apart from some details, like the head and clothing, of the angel giving the fruit basket to Christ.
 

The Altar of Angels

The raising of the first altar was founded by Kazimierz Tuczynski who died in year 1661. The altar was first shown in relation to a visit from Mikołaj Zalaszewski in year 1695. The group of ornaments, which build the current appearance of the retable, show us that we can date these objects to the end of the XVII century. At the top of the painting, which was accomplished during the XVIII century, you can see Saint Antoni Padewski.

Saint Mary Magdalene’s Altar

In the pedestal of the predella there is a painting of ”Maria Magdalena washing Christ’s feet”. On the balcony there are sculptures of two angels and a hexagonal painting with the image of the “Appearance of the risen Christ as a gardener”. In the middle we have a painting portraying “Maria Magdalena”.

The Crucifixion Altar

In the pedestal of the predella you can see “Holy Communion”. The painting “Crucifixion” is placed in the middle. The round painting on the pedestal shows the “Resurrection”, it shows Christ’s dead body hanging from the cross with substantially bended legs. On the left side we find the Mother of Christ and Saint Jan, on the right side Krzysztof and Stanisław Tuczynscy who paid for the painting and in the back you can see cliffs and buildings from the town of Jerusalem. Mother of Christ is dressed in a blue coat, red dress and white headscarf, Saint Jan has green clothes and a brown coat, Krzysztof Tuczyński is seen in an exclusive fur coat, Stanisław is standing in a red coat. A red sun shines through the clouds.

<<<<<